French Creek Iron Tour
When you ride in the French Creek Iron Tour, you have a direct impact on the preservation of the scenic countryside that surrounds you. Since 1967, French & Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust has protected more than 13,350 acres of agricultural, natural and park lands and created greenways and trails along the two creeks. Historically important lands are included in those 13,350 acres. The Revolutionary War might have had a different outcome if it were not for the many iron furnaces in northern Chester County at that time. French & Pickering has permanently protected the Warwick Furnace that supplied cannonballs to General Washington’s army. It is this significant history that gives the French Creek Iron Tour its name. It is not an Ironman event but rather a tribute to the area’s impact on the history of our country. The routes of the Iron Tour will take you to the Warwick Furnace, Hopewell Furnace and near the Hibernia Iron Works. Join us in celebrating this aspect of our country’s history and the many accomplishments of French & Pickering.
Mark your calendars for June 11. Ride, volunteer, sponsor, and be a part of French & Pickering’s work to preserve, steward and connect people to the land in northern Chester County. French & Pickering will host the Iron Tour ride on Sunday, June 11 at the Kimberton Fire Company Fairgrounds in Phoenixville, PA.
Sunday, June 11, 2023
Please note: the Iron Tour takes place rain or shine.
- Rides for all levels, from beginners to accomplished cyclists
- 11, 20, 32, 50, 62, 75, and 100 mile road course options
- Two gravel options- the Petite Gravel (60-70 miles) and the Grande Gravel (80-90 miles) with approximately 40% on gravel – recommended for experienced riders
- Well marked courses and cue sheets
- SAG support
- Quiet, lightly traveled roads and scenic countryside
- Beverages and food at rest stops and lunch as we can provide with Covid-19 precautions
- Register by April 30 to receive a complimentary t-shirt and early bird pricing
- 6:45 am: Check-In opens for 62, 75 and 100 mile rides
- 7:15 – 10:00 am: Check-In open for all rides
- 7:15 – 8:00 am: 62, Gravel, 75 and 100 mile rides begin
- 8:00 – 8:30 am: 50 mile ride begins
- 9:00 – 9:30 am: 32 mile ride begins
- 9:30 – 10:00 am: 20 mile ride begins
- 10:00 – 10:30 am: 11 mile ride begins
- 4:30 pm: Ride support ends
- All participants must wear bicycle helmets and accept the terms of the Release and Assumption of Risk.
- Use of headphones, earbuds, etc. while riding is strictly prohibited.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Carry your ID, medical card and charged phone
- When you see the “Preserved Forever” signs along the routes, remember that it was the work of French & Pickering and your support that will keep those areas in their natural state forever.
Kimberton Fire Company Fairgrounds
762 Pike Springs Road
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania 19460
(ENTER FAIRGROUNDS FROM ROUTE 113/PIKE SPRINGS ROAD ONLY)
“I had the pleasure of riding the Iron Tour for the first time on Sunday, I can say it will be the first of many more to come! I rode the 50 with my son Ben, his wife Tara and my friend Brian W. We all were so impressed with the organization of the ride, the well-stocked rest stops and volunteer staff, the marking of the routes and having traffic control at the key intersections along route 23. Oh and the post ride lunch was great! You guys were also able to dial up some great weather, unbelievable! I am sure I would be speaking many riders in saying I would offer suggestions for improvement but I am at a loss for improving perfection. I appreciate all the dedication, planning and execution of an event like this.”